Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thirsty Thursday

When I moved to Phoenix in June 2004, I didn't know anyone other than my cousin.  I was on my own.  I made my first friend in a bar and he was a member of the University of Texas Alumni Association - the Phoenix Texas Exes.  So I started going to weekly "Thirsty Thursday" events with him and eventually, we grew into a great group of us similar in age, life and interests who worked hard and partied harder.

But over time, that group fell apart as one by one, we grew up, got married, moved away and had kids.  However, this doesn't mean that the tradition has to die.  It just has to evolve.  So, I have a good friend that lives nearby who also likes to drink and get out of the house and away from her kids (Dear kids:  I promise that we love you lots, but we need time to ourselves too.).  Recently we started meeting one night a week for a drink.  Last week the venue was her choice and this week was mine.  After going to spin class, I decided we should go somewhere that wouldn't mind me in my workout clothes. We ended up at our neighborhood bar, Cogburns Big Wings, which happens to be the perfect neighborhood bar.  A large variety of beers are on tap, the beers are cheap, the wait-staff is scantily dressed (and probably still in high school) and there are plenty of tvs, pool tables and video games to keep you occupied.

After getting a great workout, I was able to enjoy some good laughs with my above mentioned friend, catch some of the basketball games on their 90 televisions and enjoy a Cutthroat Porter (5.1% ABV) from Odell Brewing Company in Fort Collins, Colorado on Nitro for $4 a pint.  Mmmmmmm.  Cheers to that!

In honor of all my former Texas Exes cronies ... this one is for you.  Long live Thirsty Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. They did have some great beers on tap. We'll have to go back again on another Thursdays. Plus they let us order from the kids menu which was the perfect amount of food. Lol. =) Great to be a part of Thirsty Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete