Saturday, April 27, 2013

New brewery!!!

There are some days where I think I am too old for Facebook.  I don't care if your cat got a haircut, or that you checked in at Rubio's and ate 3 fish tacos or that last night you and 3 of your best buds (who all pose with their arms on their hips and one leg bent) went out and got really wasted at some club in Scottsdale.

And then there are some days when I realize the power of Facebook for adults.

I discovered a few beer writers groups and few local beer groups on Facebook (which I prefer to call "the book face") and this unlocked a wealth of local knowledge for me.  After combing through recent posts in these groups, I discovered that there was a new brewery in Queen Creek.  Sweet!

https://www.facebook.com/OwlsOrchardBrewery
The posts made it sound new and small.  Then I found the brewery's Facebook page and I learned that yes, it is a brewery but no, it is not a tap house.  More of a beer-to-go kind of place.  Wait ... based on the address, it appears to be located in a neighborhood.  I started to get excited -- I went in and told my husband "it's just a dude selling beer out of his garage!!!"  So I found the phone number and called to get more details.  A super friendly guy answered and told me he'd be home all afternoon and to come by when I had time.  So we packed the kid up and headed over to check it out.

Located approximately 25 minutes from Downtown Chandler, Owl's Orchard is just what I described above: a very friendly dude selling beer out of his garage in Queen Creek.  We arrived and I'm not going to lie, it felt a little strange driving up in the driveway of a random person's house to buy something.  But Marty (brewer/owner) came out of the garage and greeted us right away.  He showed us his setup and talked to us about what he's got on tap.  He had a wheat, a stout and an IPA that he said needed another day or so in the keg.  We opted for the stout.

Stout
Owls Orchard Brewery
Queen Creek, Arizona

The stout was full and creamy without being heavy and syrupy - which I think is the biggest downfall of stouts.  It was very light on the roasted/burnt grain taste.  Overall it was a very flavorful (without having too many flavors going on) and clean finishing stout.

Recommendations:  Call or text the number on the Owl's Orchard Brewery Facebook page before you go to make sure it's open and ask what's on tap...then next time you are in the East Valley, go check this place out.  Bring a clean and legal growler of your own and have him fill it ($12) or buy one of his ($15) and promote his brewery.  Kegs available as well.

If you're a hiker or mountain biker, make a trip to check out San Tan Mountain Regional Park and then stop by to get your growler filled after your hike/ride.

CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment