Sunday, January 15, 2012

2 bikes and a 5 Barrel



The Husband's prized 2009 Pivot Mach 429 on back of car after ride
A few weeks ago we started this new thing, called "drop the baby off with Grandpa and Gramma and then go ride our bikes together."  I'm still a beginner and the Husband is quite the good rider.  He rides at least 3 times a week (on a good week).  So he's been slowly teaching me the ropes and very patient with me while I get more and more comfortable on my bike.

After dropping off the baby for some quality time with the grandparents, we hit the Hawes Trails system in northeast Mesa on a perfectly overcast 65 degree Sunday afternoon, complete with light drizzle.  We rode for 7 miles on some familiar trails and some new trails (new to me at least).  The Husband recommended a trail that he previously told me was "too technical" for me.  But today I was riding better and faster and so we gave it a whirl.  We made it to the top and enjoyed some fantastic views of Red Mountain and the surrounding mountains and boy did I wish I had a beer in my pack once we got there.  I definitely could've used a little extra energy for the ride back to the car.

While unloading the bikes back at the Casa, we each cracked a 5 Barrel Pale Ale (5.2% ABV) by Odell Brewing Company in Fort Collins, Colorado.  The Husband describes it as having a healthy hoppy bitterness with floral fragrant aftertones.  A quality easy drinking lightly-hoppy beer.  Lightly hoppy enough for me to enjoy it also.  A solid beer without being too heavy or hoppy.  Pairs very well with a football game and our freshly made guacamole and tortilla chips.

My 2009 Specialized Myka hanging by rear wheel on wall in garage

No comments:

Post a Comment