Sunday, May 12, 2013

Seasonal Flip-Flop

Doing my best to keep things local -- even while on vacation.  So less than 24-hours after landing down somewhere in Middle America, I rolled over to the nearest Hy-Vee in my mom's awesome minivan in search of some brews.  I had to fight the urge to get some magical Hy-Vee fried chicken, which sounds stupid ... but they seriously crank out some legit fried chicken which I have for about 3 meals each year when I typically visit my parents for the Fourth of July, which I typically refer to as the Fourth of Nebrasky.  Not only does this Hy-Vee have a giant beer cave and a cold water wine chiller by the door where you can leave your brand new bottle of wine for 3 minutes (cool), 5 minutes (cold) or 7 minutes (very cold), but they have a fantastic selection of craft beers for a grocery store.

So I walked up and down the beer aisle picking out a smattering of random midwestern craft beers unavailable to me at home and where the brewery is not located within the range of my upcoming tour of craft breweries in Lincoln, Nebraska.

First up, Flip Flop Strawberry Blonde Ale from Lucky Bucket Brewing Company in La Vista, Nebraska ... a town located in the southwest suburbs of Omaha.  This seasonal brew was released a week or so ago and I was able to score in in a brewer's variety pack.  It is light and crisp and wonderful but the strawberry flavor is very faint, which in my opinion, is a good thing.  But once the weather starts to heat up and the humidity kicks in (ugh), this will be a fantastic lawnmower brew.  It will be available this summer in bottle and keg. 
Flip Flop Strawberry Blonde Ale (4.5% ABV)
Lucky Bucket Brewing Company
La Vista, Nebraska
Recommendations: If you live in an area where you can get your hands on this brew, get some.  Save it for when the weather heats up and you want a nice crisp and refreshing brew.  Put some in your fridge in the garage and pop it open after you get done with yard work.

Sending out a wish for a very Happy Mother's Day to all the beer-drinking mommies out there who love beer and read my blog.  And an extra special shout out to my mom who entertains my love of beer and tries anything I put in front of her. You are truly an amazing woman and I love you bunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment