Monday, May 13, 2013

Historic Haymarket beer + history lesson

I've been visiting my parents for the past 6 years at their home in Lincoln.  But every time I/we go to visit, we never really go out much due to lack of time, family get togethers, the kids, etc.  However, because I was there for a while this time with only one kid, I was able to get out and do some exploring.

It's a beautiful Wednesday afternoon and after getting my daughter down for a nap, I hopped in my dad's car and my smartphone was pointing me to Empyrean Brewing Company, in the direction of the University of Nebraska.  There is a small old warehouse area currently in the process of being revitalized which is apparently called the Historic Haymarket District.  Super cute.  Will definitely revisit this area next time.


After wrestling with the parking meter and eventually giving up, I wonder into Lazlo's Brewery and Grill, next door to the building marked Empyrean Brewing Company.  Hmmm.  I'm slighly confused.

I sit down at the bar alone in Lazlo's and realize that somehow these are connected.  And by alone I mean very alone -- it's Wednesday at 2:30pm.  Whatever.  I wait a minute for the bartender to see me and then I order a beer sampler ($7.09 with tax).  Reach into my pocket and pull out my brand new phone and begin to do a little research.  Where the hell is the ON button on this new thing?  Damn, I'm getting old.


In 1991, Lazlo's Brewery and Grill opened in the current Historic Haymarket location.  In 1997, Empyrean Brewing Co. was founded (apparently this was the brewery associated with Lazlo's Brewery and Grill) and is now Nebraska's largest microbrewery.

Since I was alone in the bar, I actually took notes on each of these beers.  At the time, they seemed very legible.  Now, almost 3 weeks later, they are very illegible.  I'll do my best to decipher them below:


Chaco Canyon Gold (4.8% ABV): clean.  light.  boring.

Watch Man IPA (6% ABV):  good hop smell.  low hop taste.  very drinkable.

Burning Skye Scottish Style Ale (5.3% ABV):  sweet.  malty.  nutty?  heavy.

Luna Sea ESB (6.3% ABV):  sweet.  very sweet.  caramel sweet?  no bubble gum aftertaste like with most ESBs.

Third Stone Brown (5.3% ABV):  standard brown.  a bit too sweet but good.  very drinkable.

Dark Side Vanilla Porter (5.7% ABV):  I hate vanilla porters.  Always.  This was no different.  Didn't finish.

Collapsar Oatmeal Stout (6% ABV):  was served on nitro tap.  very smooth.  very Guinness.  good.

Super Nova Summer Fest (5% ABV):  released 3 weeks before I tested.  sour aftertaste.  bitter.  not a good summer beer in my opinion.  I didn't finish this one.

Midnight Horizon American Black (6.5% ABV):  was not on tap until I asked.  got the very first pour (after they cleaned the lines a bit).  this was VERY GOOD.  clean.  taste is IPA-ish but also stout-ish.  finished smooth and creamy like a nice clean stout but with a mild IPA taste throughout.  LOVED it.  Had another.

No comments:

Post a Comment