Sunday, April 14, 2013

Prickly Pear Braggot

**Disclaimer: this review is likely bias because we learned the hard way that this is not a beer for cellaring.**

Prickly Pear Braggot, Limited Release #1 (10% ABV)
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Portland, Oregon
As we poured this one up, the color looked beautiful.  The smell was sweet.  The taste was sweet like honey and thick in the mouth. The aftertaste was heavy and coating.  It was sweet.  Very sweet.  Too sweet.

I couldn't do it.  I tried.  I tried it super cold -- bleh.  I tried it at room temp -- ugh.  And I tried it warm (just to give it one last chance) -- nope.  So after 3 strikes for this beer, I did the next best thing and got out a small dish, poured the beer in and put it on the floor for my beer-loving dog.



This is exactly how I felt about the beer.  After drinking about a half glass, I just stared at the bottle.  Except, unlike my dog, I was reading the words.  I was disappointed.  It seemed like it had a lot of potential.



Rating:  refer to pictures above.  Gus finished it, stared at the bottle and then sneezed so hard that I think a paw or two might have come off the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment