Sunday, April 28, 2013

Colette and the neighborhood beer fairy

www.beanos.com
I'm not sure about the neighborhood where you live, but my very stucco and suburban neighborhood has a BEER FAIRY.  Yup, you read that right.  A real live beer fairy!!  He/she flies around after dark and occasionally delivers a random assortment of beers to the people in our neighborhood who she knows appreciate good beers.  He/she is a pretty amazing beer fairy because if the beers being delivered are cold, he/she is kind enough to send an email or a text to let you know there are beers outside.  It is quite magical.

The beer fairy left me today's beer hiding in my flower pot out front as part of a mix-and-match six pack a week or so ago.  This should also tell you that my flowers out front are not doing so well if there was room for a six pack in them.  <sigh>

Anyway, according to the brewery website, "Colette is our homage to the saisons that Belgian farm workers have enjoyed for centuries. Brewed with barley, wheat and rice and fermented at high temperatures with a special blend of four different yeast strains, COLETTE is fruity and slightly tart, with a dry finish that makes it that rarest of treats — a beer as refreshing as it is complex."

Colette Farmhouse Ale (7.3% ABV)
Great Divide Brewing Company
Denver, Colorado
It was crisp and clean.  Very bubbly but I happen to think that compliments the farmhouse style beer.  Not overly yeasty like some farmhouse/saison-style brews.  In my world, this is a beer well done.

Recommendations:  ask your real estate agent if there is a beer fairy known in the area before purchasing your next home.  It is a definite perk in our neighborhood.  Grab a few of these and save them for warm weather.  They are crisp, clean and refreshing -- oh, and 7.3% ABV.  Then be sure to get a plastic cup and enjoy this one in the pool throughout the looooooong upcoming summer.

2 comments:

  1. Makes me happy that on my introduction to your blog, its about Saison!!! This has been my favorite beer style for the last two years with recent purchases of DuPont, Hardywood (local VA craft) and BFM Square Root 225. Can't wait to dig into you previous entries :) Lastly, any good beer fan will return the favor on recommendations, so here are my contributions:

    *Harviestoun Bitter & Twist aged in Gin/Pinot Noir barrel
    *Hofstetten Kubelbier

    may be hard to find but worth the hunt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Originally from Virginia. Holla! I'll keep my eyes peeled for your suggestions...

    ReplyDelete