Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thirsty Thursday: Lost Dog


Sitting on the patio on a Thursday night in February.  Life is good.
On our latest Thirsty Thursday, we added a member to our group and switched up the location by visiting to our new neighborhood joint, BLD

I got there early and sat down at the outside bar because it is just that nice in Arizona in January, er February (already...WTH did January go????), and because I had just come from spin class.  Regardless of why, I was pretty much alone at the bar so I decided to chat with the friendly bartender guy. After listing all their beers on tap (not the greatest selection - but better than some places), I asked about the last beer on his list, the Lost Dog Red Ale (7.2% ABV) from Napa Smith Brewery in Napa, California. He said it was very popular and that it was the last keg they would be shipping to Arizona. I have never heard of this and may not have the chance to drink another one on tap?!?!?   Ooooooh, ok, twist my arm...gimme one!

I'm normally not a fan of red beers, but this was not a typical red.  As you can probably see from the picture, this is not a pretty beer when poured.  It is murky and almost muddy with a decent amount of foamy head.  It is the reason I hate swimming in lakes, rivers and the ocean.  It is why I will never compete in an open water triathlon.  None-the-less, it was a DELICIOUS beer.  I can't really think of what to compare it to, but I loved it.  It is thick and creamy but also somehow thin and light.  My trusty Thirsty Thursday companions liked it too.  In fact, I think we may have emptied the keg.

If you live in Arizona and you come across this beer, try it.  Rated a 4.75 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment