Saturday, December 31, 2011

Snowboarding and a table by the bar

After many years of skiing, my sister and I decided to trade our skis for snowboards. The weather was perfect and the snow was good, but there was no fresh powder.  I've been boarding 5-6 times previously but still get to eat snow every time I dismount off the lift.  This was my sister's first time ever touching a snowboard.  So she took a private lesson and I watched as a refresher and then relied on Husband to teach/help me.

We successfully completed the smallest green hill 6-7 times and then needed a little recharge.  We found a table in the sunshine and enjoyed a Scenic Rail Pale Ale (5.5% ABV) from the San Luis Valley Brewing Company in Alamosa, Colorado.

The two of agreed that this was a pretty standard Pale Ale, but we liked that we had never heard of the brewery and that it was available at the mountain-side bar.  I give it a 7.  I'd order it again if I saw it on tap somewhere.  After searching their website, I'd like to try a few of their other beers too sometime.  I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for this or other brews from San Luis Valley Brewing (and if anyone is reading this, you should too).
It started to get a little chilly sitting outside, so we found a table inside...3 feet from the bar.  This was the beginning of the end of our day.  After scoring such a sweet table, we got a little too comfortable sitting in the sun (inside) and drinking delicious beers.  We were even too lazy to get in line to buy our own beers, so we started to pay people in line to buy our beers for us.  We were flattered (and confused) when one guy told us no and then asked us if we were old enough.  Once he confirmed that we were, he was happy to buy our beer and keep the change.

Next up was the True Blonde Dubbel Belgian-style Double Ale (8% ABV) from Ska Brewing Company in Durango, Colorado. Disclaimer: this is probably my favorite style of beer on earth and I was drinking it at 11,000 feet with my favorite person...so my review may be a bit skewed.  The beer pours up nicely (even into a plastic solo cup) with a head that disappears quick.  Taste is sweet, bubbly, and smooth.  After a few more sips, I detect hints of honey and citrus.  HOLY MOLY --- THIS BEER IS AMAZING!   We both really loved this beer.  I give it a very solid 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment