Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sixty cent special

I try to support local businesses so I am not normally a Safeway shopper, but one day after picking my kid up from school I decided to stop at the Safeway on the way home.  I picked up a sixer of the Mudshark Up River Light because it was one of the few local beers they had in cans (side note: wish more of the local breweries would start canning their delicious brews so that I can pack them in my backpack when doing outdoor things like hiking or biking and also drink them in the pool).

I'm also not normally one to look over my grocery store receipt either in the store or at home.  Sometimes it makes it home and sometimes it doesn't.  But today, for some reason, I happened to glance at it when I got home and was unpacking the groceries.  The first thing I noticed was the Mudshark line item.  Turns out the sixer was on sale ... for a whopping $3.49.

THREE DOLLARS AND FORTY NINE CENTS!!  

That's cheaper than the gallon of gas I just purchased! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?

And no, it was not a mistake.  It was on sale, twice.  Dammit!!!  Had I known what a steal this sizer was, I would've picked up a few more for the pool.  Bummer.  Maybe now I'll start looking at my receipt (at least at the beer line items) before I leave the store so I can run back and load up on any crazy booze bargains.

UpRiver Light (4.2% ABV)
Mudshark Brewing Company
Lake Havasu, Arizona

According to Mudshark, UpRiver Light is "a light American lager; this is our lightest beer with the lowest carbohydrates. This lightly golden colored beer is made for easy drinking with a delicate smooth finish. This beer pairs nicely with any meal."  According to me, it is a crisp and thin light beer.  There really isn't much to this beer, but that doesn't mean that it is bad.  It is a well executed LIGHT LAGER.  To me, it is the perfect 100+ degree day beer to drink in mass quantities in your pool or to drink in on a brisk evening while sitting around the campfire with a bag of Cheetos.

"Upriver Light is not your downstream beer"; "Pack It In ... Pack It Out".

No comments:

Post a Comment