Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hard-working beer

Tonight I finally took the plunge into the world of homebrew.  I had been talking about doing it for quite a while but kept wimping out because I was scared I would screw it up.  The Husband finally advised me to either do it or stop talking about it.  Wise words.  Worst case scenario - the beer is terrible and I wasted 5 hours or so of my life and then we either dump it out or give it to the dog.  Best case scenario - the beer is awesome, we drink it and share it with all our friends.

Because the effort of bringing 3 gallons of water to a boil resulted in my kitchen being approximately 9,000 degrees Fahrenheit, I cracked a can of Mexican Logger to keep me refreshed (pure coincidence that the can matches the color of our electric kitchen backsplash).

Mexican Logger (4.2% ABV)
Ska Brewing Company
Durango, Colorado

This beer was clear and crisp but I found myself slightly disappointed.  The beer I was brewing smelled awesome but the beer in my hand smelled like a standard beer.  Don't get me wrong, it was a good brew and a nice variation from Pacifico, Dos and other summertime beers.  I will drink more of this in the future for sure.  However, I think it would've been better enjoyed on a Sunday afternoon in late July in our pool when it is 120 degrees outside with the constant threat of a haboob looming ready to ruin your lazy beer Sunday at any minute.

Recommendations: consume after yard work, a sweaty workout or at pool parties

Score: 4 out of 5 pint glasses on the unofficial Suburban Suds pint glass rating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment