Thursday, March 1, 2012

Knee-high powder and slopeside suds

Peak 7 tree skiing on a pefect powder day
After a handful of runs on a beautiful snowy morning on the slopes at Breckenridge Ski Resort, my sister and I decided to hop off the runs and head into the trees for some deep powder adventures.  At some point during the adventure, I put my goggles on top of my head so I could see in the dark trees.  Once we popped back out onto the run (about 30 hard working, tight turning, tree dodging, leg burning minutes later), I pulled my goggles down onto my eyes.  $%*#!!  My goggles had fogged up thanks to my wet hat and then the fog had frozen.  I couldn't see anything.  Ok, guess I have to get down the rest of the way in a snowstorm sans goggles.  

Once we finally made it down, my sister and I stopped at the T-Bar at the base of Peak 8 and were lucky enough to snag a seat.  My poor 10-year old goggles were a complete mess.  Apparently the lenses have reached the end of their "no-fog" lifetime.  And yes, I've tried rubbing spit on the inside of the lens and then drying.  No help.  Annoying.

Next year Santa, new goggles please.



There were a ton of beers on tap at the T-Bar (for surprisingly reasonable prices - $5.50 a pint - considering they were slopeside, in a real glass and at a real bar), but surprisingly, only one dark beer.  Stupid.  Ok, so my next choice is a local brew that I can't get in Arizona on tap.  Ah-ha!  I ordered an Avalanche Ale (4.4% ABV) from Breckenridge Brewery in Breckenridge Colorado.  It was served somewhat warm which annoyed me.  But maybe I was just so cold that the beer seemed warm?!?  No, I think the beer was actually slightly warm.  Ugh.  Anyway, I don't recall liking many of the brews from Breckenridge Brewery so I was surprised to learn that I liked this one.  It was a light and refreshing ale.  No special flavors or twists, just a good beer.  However, it was even better since it was consumed at 10,000 feet after a 3-hour morning cardio workout in the fresh snow with minimal crowds.  Oh yeah, and with a giant plate full of nachos too.



No comments:

Post a Comment