Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why men shouldn't grocery shop

So it's the night before Thanksgiving and after we met a good friend for a drink, I come home and start to make pies (on the menu are pumpkin, apple and banana creme).  I begin with the pumpkin pie because they are easiest and take the longest in the oven.  As I start in on the crust, I realize my ingredients are not going to cut it.  So I realize we need to hit the grocery store.  Scott volunteers to go - despite there being an Arizona basketball game on tv - so I give him a very short list and whisk the baby off to Bathville.

Just before we arrive in Bathville, the phone rings.  It is husband.  This is what I hear: "What did you say you needed?"  "The pie crust is where?"  "Near the cream cheese??"  "Oh ok, I see it.  See you soon."  "Love you."

We proceed into Bathville and splash the night away.  After bath, the baby is jammied up and ready for her liquid dinner.  I heat the water to heat the bottle and we sit down on the couch to read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?  As we are reading, husband comes home with grocery bag and case of beer.

This was not on the list.

While reading the rest of Brown Bear I hear him say "...but it was on sale for mega cheap."

I make my way into the kitchen and discover that it is a New Belgium Folly Pack ... AND .... it has a new beer in it!?!?  Sweet. And the beer has a disco ball on it???  How many did you get?

I ask husband why he only got one Folly Pack if they were on such a "mega sale."  Husband begins to chuckle and look slightly guilty.  He says he saw them in the cooler and picked up the second to last pack and began walking up to register with the other items I asked for (pie crusts, celery and cinnamon) in his hands.  As he is walking, apparently he is calculating just how good a "mega sale" it is on the beer.  Just about the time he decides to get another Folly Pack and turns back for the beer cooler, the box breaks.  DOH.  Stockboy is walking by simultaneously.  He says no big deal as the bottles crash and my husband is picking up glass off the floor.  Now there is only one left in the store, so he goes back and gets that one.  This is why he only got one and why there are only 3 Belgo's in our house.

According to New Belgium's website, Ameri-Belgo and IPA both being styles, the branding begged for New Belgium whimsy to liven things up. Hmmm Belgo sounds like a Belgian disco. Hops like to party. Next thing you know, we bust out a disco-ball and brewers started groovin. Hops started hoppin. Add in an authentic Trappist yeast strain and the place brewed into a frenzy of citrus hoppy folly.

No comments:

Post a Comment