Thursday, October 25, 2012

Citizen, defined

Citizen is a word used on a somewhat regular basis.  I'm sure I defined it a million times in my 8th grade Civics class with Ms. Burnett who was probably 99 years old in 1995 and I'm pretty sure she wore cutoff condoms on her fingers because they were so cracked and dry.  But when I sat down tonight to write about being a citizen, I couldn't define it in words.  I know what it means ... but I couldn't define it.  So, thanks to Al Gore and the interwebs, I looked it up.

According to Business Dictionary, citizen is defined as "a person who is entitled to enjoy all the legal rights and privileges granted by a state to the people comprising its constituency, and is obligated to obey its laws and to fulfill his or duties as called upon. Also called national."


I toyed with the idea of turning this into a discussion of the electoral college and how I think it's bull$hit because I feel like my vote, as a resident of the State of Arizona, is worth less than that of someone in my previous home state of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Lucky for you the anonymous reader (does anyone actually read this?) I decided against it because tonight, for the first night in many nights ... I can watch TV without listening to political ads.  So I think I'll do that instead if there's anything on other than election coverage and lame shows like "Dancing With the Stars" and "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo."  Hopefully I've got some old episodes of "Mad Men" saved on the DVR.

The Citizen (7% ABV)
Belgian-Style Pale
DC Brau
Washington D.C.
The side of the can teaches me that only 49 years ago, "In 1963, the citizens of Washington DC won the right to vote for the president and vice president of the United States, with the ratification of the 23rd amendment to the Constitution."

Recommendations: so far everything I've had from DC Brau has been worthwhile.  Support them if you can.

Score: 3.5 out of 5 pint glasses on the unofficial Suburban Suds pint glass rating system

Thanks to John and Sarah for sending this our way!!

1 comment: