Friday, February 17, 2012

Mountain Standard (Reserve) Time

Not very often does a beer come along that inspires The Husband to pickup a pen and help me collect my thoughts for the blog.  Even less often does a beer inspire him to actually write in complete sentences.  But the Mountain Standard Reserve Double Black IPA (9.5% ABV) from Odell Brewing Company in Fort Collins, Colorado must have had all the right ingredients to inspire my witty  hop-loving companion to begin to narrate his beer-experience.

Taken right before the train derailed...

"Tasty, healthy black IPA.  Pulls no punches.  Not smooth and not too rough.  Like 600 grit paper.  The sun goes down and the hope come out as does the smooth, strong darkness.  I also believe in a thing called MST and it is good.  Many black IPAs have a typical lightly roasted..."

Believe it or not, that's all he wrote.  He got distracted by a bowl of peanuts (in the shell) and then I'm sure the 9.5% alcohol played a part in completely sidetracking him.  Also, he was nearly out of paper and likely not inspired enough to go find some more.

I recall thinking that this beer was amazing.  I went back to Total Wine a few weeks later to try to find more, but no luck.  It is a winter only beer and apparently winter in Arizona ends just after Valentine's Day.  I will put this on my list of beers to buy next winter and hoard.

Rating:  5 of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment